Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blizzard Delivery

I wrote a grant because our habitat lab had no animals in it. I had arranged delivery to be midweek to allow time to get the animals settled in their new home before the weekend. It was a blustery winter day and the snow started accumulating. By the end of the day an announcement was made about school being called off for the next day. Dismissal was a disaster with students having a mega-snowball fight and cars getting stuck in the circle drive. By 4:00 PM most of the teachers had icicles dangling from their hair. I was called to the office to pick up my package. I was not in the mood to unpack my animals and didn't feel comfortable about leaving them in my outside portable building in my classroom with the arctic temperatures. I loaded the box into my car and headed home. At home I started unpacking my treasures to discover more animals than I had ordered. Instead of receiving 20 hermit crabs I received 30 of them. In addition, I had three leaking bags of fish, some aquarium frogs, tadpoles, mussels, and pond plants. At home I did not have an aquarium to put all of these things in so I loaded everything into my car and headed for the nearest pet store. I could barely see as I navigated the treacherous streets. Upon arrival I convinced the store manager to rescue my newly acquired pets. The next day I called the company to find out the mistake was all mine. Apparently an aquarium assortment does not mean the tank and equipment, but rather 30 assorted animals. We certainly have a plethora of animals for our habitat lab now. I simply cannot wait to see what actually arrives in our pending order for after Spring Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment