Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Fifth

I do my best to remind children of the expectations, but sometimes despite my best efforts there has to be something done. Bert, a student I had taught previously in 4th grade, was a well-known frequent offender of the expectations. So far this year, he had done a great job of turning around his behavior with just a few reminders.

It had been an unusual week of interruptions, and Bert had been racking up the numbers in his daily MOOSE agenda book. On Thursday afternoon I had pulled him aside and said, "Little Dude, you've got 4 numbers in your MOOSE. If you get one more, you'll have to stay after school next week. Let's not have that happen, okay?" We talked for a few minutes about listening for the cues of "boys and girls...." or "okay guys, listen up."

I greeted Bert first thing in the morning and reminded him again of our conversation. During the afternoon silent reading time, Bert just couldn't help himself and his impuslivity took over. I reminded all the students to get quiet and start reading. Bert put one finger up signaling to me that he wasn't quite finished talking. I gave him a personal invitation/warning, "Bert, it's time for silent reading." He got quiet and I thought he was going to make it until he started up one more conversation.

Bert and Ernie, bring me your MOOSE. Bert quickly produced his MOOSE for me to fill out his final number earning an after school time with me for the next week. Ernie threw himself into the floor and began wailing. I thought I had missed something. I didn't remember Ernie having that many numbers, but I knew Bert earned a big consequence. "What on earth is the matter with you, Ernie?" I asked. Ernie tried to answer me, but by that time snot was coming out of his nose and he was talking like someone that had a bumblebee in his mouth. "Well, just hand over the MOOSE then." I looked in his MOOSE and he was receiving his first MOOSE number for the week. "What's the deal Ernie?" My mom said she's sending me to military school. "Really? One mistake and she's shipping you off?"

I turned to Bert and asked him what he was talking about that was so urgent. "I was wondering what military school was like."

At the end of the day Bert's little brother came to my room to hook up with him to walk home. Bert greeted him with a high five. I said, "You sure are a great big brother." He smiled. His brother said, "He certainly is."

This kid might be a little mess at times, but he and his little brother just warmed my heart. It reminded me of having a big brother and sister walk me home in the afternoon from school. I know I was the mess at Ridgecrest Elementary, but I wonder if I was a "cute little mess."

No comments:

Post a Comment