Monday, September 14, 2009

Physical Change

I had to teach about physical change, chemical change, and their properties. Well that's just boring! I bet each class I could make a 4 x 6 index card pass over them by using physical change. "In fact," I said, "I bet I can pass it over two kids in this class." I explained that I would make the card encircle both students. Each class took the bet. I bet a dollar in one class, a jacket in another class, a cool pencil in another class, etc. I caught their interest and went on with the lesson explaining the differences of each item. I folded the index card and used a zigzag cut. By making a physical change to the paper, I created a "necklace" that was large enough to fit over two students. I never ever "collected" the goods from the shocked students. I took advantage of the teachable moment about how gambling was definitely against the school district rules, so I certainly wasn't going to take their treasures.

The biggest reward for me was when my little "try-harder" class gave me a standing ovation at the end of class. I have noticed what a physical change this class has undergone. It was once a class of lots of "interrupters" and "off-taskers", but the more times they have come to my class, the more they are trying harder. We are having less major problems in class and are actually getting more accomplished with each class.

I have noticed I have gone through a physical change with this class as well. A class that used to drain my energy at the end of a day has actually recharged my batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment